2008년 1월 20일 일요일

my poem choice


Messy Room
by Shel Silverstein


Whosever room this is should be ashamed!

His underwear is hanging on the lamp.

His raincoat is there in the overstuffed chair,

And the chair is becoming quite mucky and damp.

His workbook is wedged in the window,

His sweater's been thrown on the floor.

His scarf and one ski are beneath the TV,

And his pants have been carelessly hung on the door.

His books are all jammed in the closet,

His vest has been left in the hall.

A lizard named Ed is asleep in his bed,

And his smelly old sock has been stuck to the wall.

Whosever room this is should be ashamed!

Donald or Robert or Willie or--Huh?

You say it's mine? Oh, dear,

I knew it looked familiar!

==============================

I think this is a funny poem. I have looked for several poems and I have chosen this one for few reasons. First, I like the way the poet is describing the messy room. His word choice is concise; they are not too long or difficult to read still they are describing a clear image of the room. I also did like the ending that the poet has made. He was repeating the word “ashamed” to kind of scold the room owner. And actually the room was his. For the last, I was attracted to this poem because of the similarities that the room of the poet and mine had. It sounded very familiar and real to me since it is something that I usually see and live in. A lot of poems look same and strict but this one was somehow different from them. These are the reasons I have decided to choose this poem.

댓글 2개:

Ms. Lillo :

I am drawn to Shel Silverstein as well, he is an interesting poet who writes poems that are straightforward and yet contain concepts that relate to many people. Keep pushing yourself to reflect deeply on the poems you choose.

juhie :

Funny poem^^ you know what? My room is dirtier than that...seriously...